Thursday, August 28, 2008

Moral Quandry

So, I'm tensely watching the news and checking the web to get the latest tracking info on Gustav, trying to figure out if it's going to be coming our way or not. Naturally, I'm hoping it misses us here in New Orleans, though the city and state seem well prepared for it if it does come. However, I got to thinking; I'm sitting here wishing for Gustav to miss New Orleans, but if it misses New Orleans, it's bound to hit somewhere else. So, indirectly I'm wishing ill on other people for my own well being. I suppose I could dismiss it with a "better them than me" attitude, but it just doesn't seem morally appropriate to wish for someone else's misfortune.

Still hoping it misses us, though.

Does that make me a bad person?

1 comment:

  1. No, it makes you a rational person. The end you want is: stay alive and well. The means to get that end is: avoid bad storms.

    But it also makes you someone trapped in an imperfect, complex, and hypocrisy-ridden world. :)

    ReplyDelete