Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Faith

I was out taking a constitutional and for whatever reason my mind wandered onto the topic of religion and faith. It seems that faith is a natural tendancy of all humans, and so I began thinking about how mine manifests. I'm not particularly religious, so I don't place my faith in concepts of gods, goddesses, or mysticism. I've no quarrel with those that do, religion can be a great source of comfort and guidance for people, it's just not for me. Similarly, I wouldn't call myself an athiest. It's an old truism that you can't prove a negative, so belief in the non-existance of God is as much an article of faith as belief in God. I niether believe nor disbelieve, so what does that leave?

It turns out that it leaves people. I choose to place my faith in people. I suppose my article of faith can best be expressed with a quote from Anne Frank:

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart.


I tend to believe that the natural tendancy is toward the good. Sure, sometimes, in some people, the good gets buried and they do bad, even evil, things, but that's the exception. If it weren't, wouldn't we have destroyed ourselves long ago?

This outlook probably explains a bit of my fondness for superheroes. The idea that someone given great power will choose to use that power to help others is a tribute to the inherent goodness of humanity. The cynic would assume that a world with superpowers would be a world of super-villains with no heroes to fight them.

So, no, I'm not a cynic. I'll pretend to cynicism for comedic effect at times, but that's because cynicism is just funnier than optimism. Nope, I'm afraid I am in fact a hippy-dippy optimist.

2 comments:

  1. It's an old truism that you can't prove a negative, so belief in the non-existance of God is as much an article of faith as belief in God. I niether believe nor disbelieve, so what does that leave?

    Funnily enough, this was on my mind in the shower today. It makes me furious that I can't properly say "I'm an atheist" because of the not proving a negative thing. Although I know this isn't true, the act of having to downgrade my feelings to "agnosticism" smacks of theocentrism. (Did I make that up?) Sure, THEY can own their positions, but I can't.

    I love Dawkins' statement (his, right?) that most people are atheists vis-a-vis most of the gods in all of history--but some of us go one god further. :)

    But here's the other way to think about it: I have a special name for myself because I don't believe in the Boogy Man. It's called "adult."

    Nope, I'm afraid I am in fact a hippy-dippy optimist.
    Yes...I remember finally realizing this at one point and being delighted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to be an athiest, be an athiest. There's nothing wrong with taking the absence of god on faith if a godless universe makes more sense to you or is more comforting to you.

    ReplyDelete