Sunday, August 24, 2008

Election '08 - The Musical

I was watching Obama's VP announcement yesterday and couldn't help but notice the music they played as Obama was making his way to the stage: "City of Blinding Lights" by U2. Now, I'm a big U2 fan, so the Obama campaign earns some serious hipness points with me for the use of their songs, but this particular song is an interesting choice lyrically. Let's take a look at some of them:

The more you see the less you know
The less you find out as you go

Is this some subliminal response to complaints that Obama lacks experience?

I knew much more then than I do now

Perhaps not the best thing for a political candidate to declare: "I used to be much smarter."

Neon heart dayglo eyes

Um . . . okay.

A city lit by fireflies

Here's where the lyrics start to get dangerous. Certainly someone in the McCain campaign will latch on to this and claim it's Obama's new energy plan.

They’re advertising in the skies
For people like us

Well, there are certainly a lot of advertisements flying over the airwaves (through the skies). "People like us," is a nice phrase, Obama can be claiming kinship with the electorate.

And I miss you when you’re not around

Okay, now it's starting to sound a bit like a love song. Appropriate, I suppose since a political campaign can be likened to a courtship. One that is to be consummated in the voting booth.

Figuratively, you sick bastards.

I’m getting ready to leave the ground….

Flying to the next campaign stop, perhaps?

Ooh ooh ooh
Ooh ooh ooh

Code of some sort?

Oh you look so beautiful tonight
In the city of blinding lights

Ah, a little more romancing of the electorate.

Don’t look before you laugh
Look ugly in a photograph

Um, good advice? Maybe? Well, it's advice, anyway.

Flash bulbs purple irises
The camera can’t see

A reference to McCain's celebrity dig?

I’ve seen you walk unafraid
I’ve seen you in the clothes you made

Ah, it's like he knows us.

Can you see the beauty inside of me?
What happened to the beauty I had inside of me

Oh, showing a little insecurity here. Is that a mistake, or could it be seen as endearing?

Time… time
Won’t leave me as I am
But time won’t take the boy out of this man

Here's a strong set of lyrics. He's a man capable of personal growth over time, but remains in touch with his inner child.

The more you know the less you feel

Hmm. Not sure I like this one. This seems to hew more closely to the Bush "trust your gut, not your head" philosophy. Not sure it works well for Obama.

Some pray for others steal
Blessings are not just for the ones who kneel… luckily

Support for separation of church and state, maybe?

So, overall not a bad song for Obama to choose, despite some shaky bits.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! :) Your analysis is nuanced and insightful. Unlike, say, CNN's.

    ReplyDelete