Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Disillusioned

I was so impressed with the Opening Ceremonies, and now I find out that some of it was faked. How disappointing. Yesterday, I heard that those fireworks "footprints" that I had thought were so cool were actually digital creations and were not for real. So, I'm less impressed with the fireworks, but my esteem for the ceremonies really isn't diminished that much.

Now, today, I read that the little girl who sang as the Chinese flag was brought in was actually lip-syncing. This wouldn't be so bad, except they used another little girl's voice. Apparently the powers-that-be thought that the voice of the little girl we saw wasn't good enough and the little girl who sang wasn't cute enough. How horrible. I feel kind of bad for these little girls, having been told by their government that one can't sing and the other is unattractive. I think, in their quest for perfection, the officials involved lost sight of the fact that, whether they went with the face or the voice they'd have an adorable little girl singing and either way it would have been a moving moment.

Still, it was a cool ceremony, and for these two missteps there was plenty that was done right. And the games so far have certainly been great.

No comments:

Post a Comment