Saturday, July 5, 2008

AFI's 10 Top 10 Part V: Mystery

We're at the halfway point of the ten lists! And what a list this one is:

1. Vertigo
2. Chinatown
3. Rear Window
4. Laura
5. The Third Man
6. The Maltese Falcon
7. North By Northwest
8. Blue Velvet
9. Dial M for Murder
10. The Usual Suspects

Hitchcock certainly dominates this list, taking up four of the slots. This is, of course, as it should be. This is a top ten list to be proud of, I've got no complaints.

Vertigo and Rear Window are two of my all time favorite movies, so I'm glad to see them ranked so high.

Chinatown and The Maltese Falcon are undisputed classics of the genre, so they belong on the list.

I haven't seen Laura or Blue Velvet, but given the quality of the rest of the list, I feel encouraed to check them out soon.

Seeing The Third Man on the list has made me realize that it's been quite some time since I've seen it and the details have faded a bit in my mind. I remember being very impressed by it, but the rest is a bit hazy. Time to re-watch it, I think.

North By Northwest and Dial M for Murder, two more Hitchcock classics on the list. All I can say is, Yay!

And last, but certainly not least, we've got The Usual Suspects. I remember seeing this movie in the theater while I was in college and it just blew me away. That ending is a killer on the first viewing. Then, on repeated viewings, you get to marvel at just how well constructed the whole story is. Not to mention an unbeliveable cast.

Kudos for this list. I'm in full agreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment