Wednesday, July 2, 2008

AFI's 10 Top 10 Part II: Romantic Comedies

Continuing my look at AFI's ten Top 10 lists. Here's the list of the Top 10 Romantic Comedies:

1. City Lights
2. Annie Hall
3. It Happened One Night
4. Roman Holiday
5. The Philadelphia Story
6. When Harry Met Sally
7. Adam's Rib
8. Moonstruck
9. Harold and Maude
10. Sleepless in Seattle

I have to admit, I don't have too many thoughts on this list. No egregious omissions that I can think of and nothing on the list that I don't think belongs there. I'll admit, I've never been a fan of "Annie Hall" (sacrilege, I know). It's all part of my general inability to enjoy any of Woody Allen's films, just not my cup of tea. However, I do recognize the film's importance and influence, so I've got to begrudgingly grant it its spot on the list.

To be honest, there are quite a few films on this list that I just have not seen. That, I suppose, is part of the fun of lists like this; to find suggestions for movies to add to a "To See" list (which in my case looks an awful lot like a Netflix queue).

3 comments:

  1. I have seen 6 and 10. The first one: awesome. The second one: meh.

    Last night I rented The Holiday (along with Shaun of the Dead, which I watched with E.) because Jack Black is in it, and I am in love with him. He can do no wrong, so even a romantic comedy might be good. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Shaun of the Dead! If you liked it, rent Hot Fuzz when you get a chance (it's from the same creative team). It's their riff on the cop/buddie movie genre and it's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I did see Hot Fuzz! Tristan recommended it. Loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete