Tuesday, July 1, 2008

AFI's 10 Top 10 Part I: Animation

AFI continues to make lists. This time they've made 10 top 10 lists, one list for each of 10 different genres. I've said in the past how list like this tend to be bullshit, but they can still be fun to look at and talk about. And after looking at AFI's lists, I had a few things to talk about. I'm going to start with the Animation Top 10 list:

1. Snow White
2. Pinocchio
3. Bambi
4. The Lion King
5. Fantasia
6. Toy Story
7. Beauty and the Beast
8. Shrek
9. Cinderella
10. Finding Nemo

My first question upon reading this list was, "What does the AFI have against Brad Bird?" There are two films missing from this list that should be here and both happen to be the work of Brad Bird, "The Iron Giant" and "The Incredibles".

"The Iron Giant" remains, if not my absolute favorite, one of my favorite animated films. It's a shame it's largely been forgotten in the age of digital animation. Based on the children's book by Ted Hughes, it's the story of a boy and his giant robot friend. More importantly it's about self-determination vs. pre-ordained fate; the Giant is a weapon by design, but does he have to be if he doesn't want to be? I've seen this movie a number of times now, and I still get a little choked up at the ending.

"The Incredibles" is much better remembered than "The Iron Giant" as it had the benefit of being a Pixar film. It's a super-hero story that's really about family (which is why a lot of people like to say it's the best movie version of the Fantastic Four).

So, that begs the question, if I were to put these two films into the list, which two should come out (got to stay a top 10 list after all). "Shrek" is an easy pick for one. Don't get me wrong, I loved "Shrek", but I look at the company it's in with this list and it just feels a bit out of place. "Shrek" feels a bit too much of the now, not timeless enough to quite make the top 10. Second pick is a little harder. Some of the films are safe. The historical significance of "Snow White" keeps it on the list, as does the innovation of "Fantasia" and "Toy Story". "Beauty and the Beast"'s achievement of getting an Oscar nomination for best picture earns it a spot. So, I'm left with "Bambi", "The Lion King", "Cinderella", and "Finding Nemo". "Finding Nemo" I'd leave on the list, just as a matter of personal preference (I'm quite fond of that movie). Of the remaining three? I'm not sure, again, my only basis would be personal preference. On that basis, I'd probably have to go with "Bambi", it's the one that I have the least connection with, I suppose.

Edit: I accidentally left #5, Fantasia, off the list. I'm kicking myself for that, because I love Fantasia, definitely worthy of being on this list.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen Iron Giant, but you make me want to. The Incredibles was...incredible, but not groundbreaking, right?

    How could you take out Shrek? It broke fairy tale ground brilliantly.

    Finding Nemo, on the other hand, did nothing for me. I'd axe it.

    1. Safe -- history as you say
    2. I love it but can't justify it other than that
    3. I didn't see it as a kid and so have no ties, but most people do
    4. Was groundbreaking b/c animals and location and music?
    5. ...where is 5?
    6. Toy Story was novel
    7. Meh. B&B was...typical
    8. see above
    9. WAs this historically significant? i loved it, but otherwise...
    10. see above

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely see Iron Giant.

    I don't know that The Incredibles broke any new ground, but it's a near perfect movie and I think that earns it it's slot on the list.

    I loved Shrek, but 20, 30 years from now, is it still going to hold up? A lot of the humor feels very fixed in the present and so it lacks the timeless quality that the rest of the movies on the list have.

    How can you not like Finding Nemo? What have you done with your inner child? :)

    Fantasia was #5, I left it off accidentally. Definitely deserving of its place on the list.

    ReplyDelete