Friday, July 4, 2008

AFI's 10 Top 10 Part IV: Sports

I'm onto the AFI's fourth list of their 10 Top 10. This time, it's Sports movies.

1. Raging Bull
2. Rocky
3. The Pride of the Yankees
4. Hoosiers
5. Bull Durham
6. The Hustler
7. Caddyshack
8. Breaking Away
9. National Velvet
10. Jerry Maguire

So, how are we defining Sports movies for this list? Jerry Maguire, I'm looking at you. Yes, the title character was a sports agent and the movie took place in the world of professional sports, but none of that was central to the story which was more about Jerry's character growth. It seems to me that a movie on a 10 Best Sports Movie list should be more centrally focused on the sports. But maybe I'm just being picky.

I'm very pleased to see Hoosiers and The Hustler on here. Great movies, glad to see them on the list. I'm a little curious as to where Field of Dreams is, though. For me, it is THE baseball movie, so it's absence is really felt. I also would have liked to have seen Friday Night Lights on here. That was a fabulous movie, and if I, who does not particularly like football, loved the movie that has to say something about the quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment