Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Words & Pictures No. 2 - Comic Book Inflation

This is the first comic book that I remember owning (there may have been others before it, but it's the first I remember). G.I. Joe #14 has a cover date of August 1983. In the 25 years since (and the idea that I've been reading these things for 25 years is kind of mind-blowing to me) comic prices, like the prices for most things have gone up. Notice the price in the corner of $0.60 for this issue. The final issue of Secret Invasion, which came out last week, had a cover price of $3.99. That's quite an increase and has been a topic of conversation on various comics-related sites this week. The majority of the books from the big two publishers are still $2.99, but the move to $3.99 is coming and most small-press books already cost more than that.

I'll save the commentary, others have more than covered that, I just found it interesting to note how this once cheap and disposable form of entertainment is no longer either one.

No comments:

Post a Comment