Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Movie A Week: Week 4 - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol


Movie: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Theater: AMC Discover Mills 18
Snack: Hot dog and Coke

This was a catch-up week for me.  I've been wanting to see it since it came out in December but hadn't gotten around to it until this week.  This does highlight one of the advantages of digital projection; instead of seeing a film print that was noticeably degraded after more than a month of screenings, I saw a digital projection that was as pristine as it was on the first screening.

I've enjoyed the previous Mission: Impossible movies, though I have to admit I remember absolutely nothing about the second one.  The main draw of "Ghost Protocol" for me was the director, Brad Bird.  He's directed a number of animated films of which I've been quite fond; "The Iron Giant" in particular being a favorite of mine.  This film was Bird's live-action debut as a director, and you have got to admire the man's ambition tackling something this big the first time out.  More impressive is that he manages to pull it off.  The story moves along at a lively pace and even incorporates a bit of continuity from previous movies.  The film held my attention from start to finish and there weren't any of the lulls that so often happen in the middle of movies like this.

Tom Cruise is still a convincing action hero, even as he approaches his 50th birthday.  Meanwhile, Jeremy Renner continues to build a nice career for himself with a good performance here.  Simon Pegg is a welcome addition to any movie as far as I'm concerned, and I am so glad the powers that be decided to bring him back from the last Mission: Impossible.  Overall, the film is a well-crafted and immensely fun entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment