Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Movie A Week - Week 7: Oscar Nominated Short Films 2012 - Live Action

Movie: Oscar Nominated Short Films 2012 - Live Action
Theater: Landmark Midtown Art Cinema
Snack: Caramel Popcorn and Coke

We are in the February dumping grounds.  That time when studios fill theaters with the dregs of their release sechedules.  I was concerned that I would have a hard time finding a movie worth watching this week.  Fortunately, I discovered the Oscar nominated shorts were showing at the Midtown Art Cinema.  This year's live-action nominees form a strong crop of films.  I really enjoyed all five and I think any one of them would have been a worthy winner.

And the nominees are . . .

Pentecost (Ireland) - A strong beginning to this shorts program.  I know very little about altar boys or football (soccer football, not American football (though I don't know much about American football either)), but they meet hilariously in this short.  The look on the kid's face, that is the main character's, in the final scene just killed me.

Raju (Germany/India) - There is more drama and tension in the twenty-four minutes of this short than in a lot of features.  I was absolutely riveted.

The Shore (Northern Ireland) - I resisted this movie at first.  The opening scene had me worried that I was about to be overwhelmed by sentiment.  Fairly quickly, however, the sheer charm of the film won me over.  It is certainly sentimental, but in the best possible way.  It is a crowd pleaser, and I understand why it was the winner in this catagory.

Time Freak (USA) -A time travel comedy is right in my wheelhouse.  I really enjoyed the film, but more than that I am hugely jealous that I didn't make this movie.

Tuba Atlantic (Norway) - This was a strange one.  It took me a while to really get into it.  Ultimately it was the unabashed silliness in the face of death that I found the most appealing.  A fine finish to an excellent shorts program.

No comments:

Post a Comment