Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Movie A Week - Week 4: Red Tails

Theater: AMC Discover Mills 18
Snack: Hot dog and Coke

The critics have not been kind to this movie.  It's currently sitting at 35% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Maybe critics were looking for a weighty drama about the Tuskegee Airmen.  This is not that movie, but it is by no means a bad movie.  I found it to be a fun, if conventional, blockbuster-style film.  The dogfights, particularly, were exciting.  I thought the performances were generally pretty good, though whoever gave Cuba Gooding, Jr. that pipe as a prop probably regretted it.  The man could not stop playing with the thing and it was a very distracting whenever he was on screen.  Between actors and director, there were quite a few veterans of "The Wire" involved in this film, which is a good think as far as I'm concerned.

The story was fine, a good entertainment.  However, the dialogue was a bit on the hammy side.  To me, it also felt like this movie had a late-'80's/early-'90's vibe.  I can't put my finger on why, and it is neither a good nor a bad thing as far as I'm concerned, I just found it interesting.  I think the critics have been unfair to "Red Tails."  It's not a great film, but it is an entertaining one.

No comments:

Post a Comment