Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Movie A Week - Week: 2: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Theater: Regal Mall of Georgia 20
Snack: None

I've never read the John le Carré novel or seen the mini-series starring Alec Guiness, so I walked into this movie cold.  I think I may have benefited a bit from not knowing the details of the plot beforehand, I was learning things as the characters were and I was riveted.  I would be interested to hear the reactions of those who were familiar with previous versions of the story.  What I did know going in, was that it stars Gary Oldman (who is awesome) and that it's about Cold War spying (which is fascinating).  This isn't action-movie, James Bond type spying, this is the talk-y, think-y, spying-as-chess-game type of spying.  The story had my full attention for its entire running time.  The performances were fantastic across the board.  Particularly noteworthy were the were Oldman, of course, and Benedict Cumberbatch, who I mainly knew from the BBC's recent "Sherlock" series and who I almost didn't recognize thanks to the dramatically different look he sports in this film.  I also have to offer special praise to the filmmakers for taking such a complicated story and managing to fit it into a little over two hours without making it hard to follow.  I always felt like I knew how one scene connected to the next.  To sum up, "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" is a fine film with some great performances; well worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment