Monday, June 30, 2008

Spoilers

Last Friday's Doctor Who episode referenced the idea of "spoilers" a few times and it got me to thinking about them both in terms of fiction and in life.

When it comes to big, highly anticipated movies, popular TV shows, or books spoilers are frequently everywhere. Personally I tend to think most art is better if you go into it clean, but I still sometimes can't help myself from clicking that link somewhere on the web that's going to tell me what happens at the end of the movie. Most of the time it doesn't really matter, in most movies or TV shows, the trip is as important as the destination, so even if you know where the story ends you can still get some enjoyment from it.

But what if you could have spoilers for real life? If you could look into the future and see if that new job is going to work out or how other life decisions turn out. One could conceivably live a life without mistakes. My question is, would that be a good thing? I tend to think not. The risk of things going disastrously wrong is part of what makes life exciting. That said, if I had access to these life spoilers, could I resist them any better than I can resist finding out what's going to happen in "The Dark Knight"? Probably not.

Speaking of spoilers, I love this shirt.

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Spoilt - Threadless, Best T-shirts Ever

1 comment:

  1. I'm biased, because I hate surprises. Also, spoilers work: Frequently, I ask friends if I will like a movie and ask for supporting detail. If they say, "No, X dies gruesomely," I avoid it. See? Works. So we aren't doomed to our fates.

    Some friends go further and tell me what's going to happen as we're watching something. I love them for it. Other friends (okay, one) insists on subjecting me to surprises even though I ask her not to because they make me nervous--even on my birthday, for example. It was totally all for her; otherwise why make me suffer through my own birthday present. Of course, still others can give me suprises that don't stress me out. Must be person-dependent. Anyway, this is veering sharply off-topic. Sorry. :P

    Interesting subject, though.

    ReplyDelete