Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Never Loan Books

Ever since discovering LibraryThing a few months ago I've been having fun adding my books to my library (see widget to the left). I'm not sure what it says about me that I think that data entry is fun, but that's a topic for another day. As I was going through my books to find more to add I suddenly realized that my copy of Watchmen was missing. I'd loaned this book to a friend over a year ago; a friend with whom I've since lost touch. What gets me about the situation is that it's not the first time that it's happened. Years ago, back in my middle-school days, I loaned my prized copies of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series to a friend who shortly thereafter moved to Belgium. I never saw those books again. And so, I'm forced to admit the wisdom of a throw away line from Battlestar Galactica (yes, yes Watchman and BSG in one entry, I am an uber-geek), "Never loan books."

Does this mean that I'll stop sharing books that I love with friends? Of course not, but I think from now on I'll just assume that I'll never get them back. That way I can only be pleasantly surprised.

2 comments:

  1. I assume you're referring to me with "Watchmen," since you did lend it to me and then asked about it. Near as I can remember, I returned it. I keep one and only one shelf for any and all borrowed books. If it's not there, it's always been back with its owner. This could be an exception, of course... But I don't know why it would be. Anyway, sorry you don't have it, and sorrier if it's my fault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, who knows what happens. I'm going to inevitably break down and by the $75 Absolute Watchmen edition at some point anyone, so it doesn't matter all that much. I'm more peeved about those Hitchhiker books. I've been nursing that grudge for almost 20 years.

    ReplyDelete