Friday, April 13, 2012

A Movie A Week: Week 13 - 21 Jump Street

Movie: 21 Jump Street
Theater: AMC Colonial 18
Snack: Hot Dog and Coke

I wish that I could say that the delay in this write-up and the following one was due to something fun.  Unfortunately, that is not the case.  It is crunch-time at school and that has pushed things to the back burner.  Quite frankly, I should probably be working on a paper or presentation rather than posting this now, but I am nothing if not a procrastinator.  I have been seeing my weekly movie and will get caught up with the posts in short order.  Better late than never, right?

I didn't have many expectations going in to "21 Jump Street."  I remember watching the old TV show years ago, but it is not something that has loomed large in my memory or that is awash in nostalgia for me.  That is just as well, since the movie takes the basic concept and plays it for laughs.  What surprised me was how many genuine laughs are to be found in the movie.  "21 Jump Street" manages to walk the line of making fun of its own ridiculous premise while not mocking the audience that came to see it.  The cast does a good job, and there are even a few nice bits of business for some of the cast members of the original series.  One of these moments came as a real surprise and that surprise was a lot of fun, so I won't spoil it here.  The whole move was a surprise really, and a pleasant one at that.  I definitely left the theater feeling that I had gotten my entertainment dollar's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment