Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Good News/Bad News

Good News: President-Elect Obama. I've been an eager supporter of Obama from early on, but I hadn't realized how emotionally invested I was in his candidacy until the networks started projecting him as the winner. I got a real lump in my throat; seriously, this is the most emotional I've ever felt about the results of any election. There's probably more to say about it, but it's so new, I haven't completely gotten my mind around the reality of it yet. But really, how great is this: President-Elect Obama.

Edit: Stephen Fry's response on Twitter sums it up pretty well, "Malagasy people grinning from ear to ear. The world so wants to love America and now they can again."

Bad News: William Jefferson. How does this guy keep getting re-elected (okay, he just won the Democratic nomination tonight, but in this district, the Democrat is going to win). The feds found $90,000 in cash in the guy's freezer and is under indictment for corruption. That old Edwin Edwards quote seems to apply to Jefferson, too: "The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy".

Why?

Why vote for this guy? Yes, I understand that he hasn't been convicted of anything yet, but shouldn't we ask our leaders to avoid even the appearance of impropriety? (And honestly, is there any legitimate reason to store $90,000 in cash in your freezer?)

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment